“I found this training course very in depth in terms of theory, but most importantly the experiential element. The tutor was fantastic and created a very safe space in order to explore experiences in the trays more deeply. This is the first course I have done in which I feel I have adequately been given the knowledge and skills to practice. Thank you”
- Sandplay therapy is an especially gentle way of accessing unconscious memories and feelings. It works particularly well as a therapeutic method with children, young people and adults who struggle to express themselves verbally.
- The focus of our sandplay training is on experiential creative learning. As a result, you will discover our integrative sandplay therapeutic model. At the same time, you will learn about the key Jungian theories of Dora Kalff. There is also lots of practical advice and a chance to try sand tray for yourselves.
- We will also use other creative arts therapies such as music, mindfulness and meditations. Above all, the aim is to nurture ourselves in a free, protected space.
- All qualified therapists. This includes counsellors, clinical psychologists, play therapists, art therapists, social workers, wellbeing and other mental health professionals interested in using sandplay therapy with clients including children, adolescents and adults.
- Professionals working in an educational/mental health setting. For example, a school, nursery, SEN or CAMHS.
- Developing the necessary skills to become an integrative sandplay therapist.
We suggest you also read our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Gain practical skills in the sandplay process
- Experience sandplay therapy by doing it yourself in a friendly community
- Feel supported in a small group of 6 to 10 people
- Connect with expert, friendly, supportive tutors . Our staff are in fact BACP and/or UKCP therapists and supervisors
- Learn the Jungian sandplay theories of Dora Kalff
- Get advice on getting started in schools, counselling centres and in private practice e.g. what trays and miniature objects to use
- Enjoy tips on encouraging clients of all ages to try sand tray
- All our certified sandplay training courses are therefore suitable for BACP and UKCP counselling and psychotherapy Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Online live via Zoom
- 5 weekends over academic year
- 10am until 4pm (UK time) each day
- Small groups (up to 10 people)
- Experiential- opportunities to create and explore your own sandtrays
- No written component
- Commitment to required reading between weekends
- Minimum of 80% attendance at weekends*
- 50 clinical hours
- Required to commit to a minimum of 8 supervision hours with one of our highly experienced sandplay supervisors.**
- Present client material during one of the weekends
* To find out more please see FAQs
** Please budget for this as it is an additional cost to the course fees. To find out more please see FAQs
Weekend 1: Introduction to the group and working with sand
Getting started (equipment, rooms, having confidence in what we do). BACP confidentiality, boundaries, ethics, contracting.
Weekend 2: Working with children in schools, NHS and private practice
Being with the child in front of you. The work of Violet Oaklander and Margaret Mahler’s developmental stages. Also, practical skills and support managing the wider system.
Weekend 3: Being not doing. The creative world of Jung
The healing power of the unconscious. Introducing Jung, including anima (female), animus (male) and shadow parts of our clients and ourselves. Also, collective unconscious and universal meanings common in sand and other creative work. Mandalas – the symbol of wholeness – in sandplay. Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey in sand.
Weekend 4: Working with Teenagers and Trauma
Encouraging creativity and story telling in sandplay with adolescents. Rites and initiations. The battle between Eros (life/love) and Thanatos (death/destruction). An introduction to using sandplay with both single and complex trauma.
Weekend 5: Remembering who we are
Helping adult clients to know their hearts through sandplay. Simple ways of encouraging adults to do sand. An introduction to the transpersonal writings of Almaas.
- Tina is a dedicated, passionate and experienced Positive Psychology Coach, Self Love Coach and Mindfulness teacher.
- She is a Wellbeing and Trauma Informed Practitioner as well as Integrative Sandplay Therapist, holistic therapist and creative supervisor.
- 16th/17th September 2023
- 4th/5th November 2023
- 27th/28th January 2024
- 23rd /24th March 2024
- 11th/12th May 2024
COURSE IN PROGRESS: NO NEW APPLICANTS
- Laura is a Psychotherapist, an Integrative Sandplay Therapist, and a Level 2 trained IFS Therapist.
- Over the last ten years she has worked across the NHS, women’s services, addiction & recovery, and within a UKCP accredited training organisation.
- 2nd/3rd December 2023
- 13th/14th January 2024
- 2nd/3rd March 2024
- 20th/21st April 2024
- 8th/9th June 2024
- £350 deposit. Then choose from two payment options:
- 7 affordable monthly instalments of £215 per calendar month total cost £1855
- Pay £1350 before the course starts – this is the better value option- total cost £1700
“I would not hesitate to recommend Jill Carter Training to anyone interested in direct practice with both children and adults. The training was hugely inspiring and provided an intimate approach to learning the skills through our own unconscious reflections and experience.”
These expressive therapy courses basically explain the theories and research behind creativity in counselling, education and mental health environments. They are written and developed by Jill Carter, the UK’s leading creative trainer for sandplay therapy training courses. Lindsey Toogood has taken the reins as Jill is now retiring. The team also includes, Tina Hesse, and Laura McGuinness.
In addition, our sandplay training, working creatively with trauma and creative supervision courses can be used as Continuing Professional Development by BACP/UKCP/similar regulatory bodies.